Monday, September 30, 2013

Ear Candy: I Choose You

I've been listening to a ridiculous amount of Sara Bareilles lately because her voice makes my heart smile. I've been listening to her when I get ready in the morning, nothing makes a morning a good morning like happy, getting-ready music.  Recently one of her songs really caught my ear and my heart. Most of Sara Bareilles' songs are light, happy love songs, but one song in particular could be used to illustrate the joyful relationship that we should have with God.

What really caught my eye was the statement that her words were "the very first words of a lifelong love letter". Personally, the only love letter that I've received is the Bible and every time I spend just a little bit of time reading it, I rediscover just how much God loves me. Part of the reason God gave us the Bible is so we could read His expressions of love over and over again. The second verse goes on to say that many people told her "you would not come true, just love's illusion" and Bareilles follows it with "you found me and everything changed and I believe in something again."Many people experience a feeling like that when they find God. I experience it each time I admit my faults, sins, and imperfections and run back to God.

The part of the song that hits me the hardest is her admission of her imperfections and how she learns from her mistakes. She says that she wants to prove her love, no matter how long it takes. God doesn't ask us to prove anything to him, but acting in love towards others, worshipping Him, and obedience to His word shows our dedication to the pursuit of God's heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment